BUTUAN CITY: This will for sure completely ruin their family’s Christmas. A newly-wed couple died after being electrocuted in what police say is a freak industrial accident.
The misfortune last Sunday afternoon at Brgy. Baan also killed a policeman and a retired government employee, PNP Director S/Supt. Nerio Torayno Bermudo said.
Bermudo identified the four casualties as Jundree Magrilos Tiu and his wife Aileen Pamela; both OFWs, PO1 Bryann Glenn Achumbre Tan and Azucena Achumbre Tan, their mother.
All victims lived together in their newly acquired subdivision unit house at Block 3 Lot 21 East Wood Subdivision, in Brgy. Baan.
The Tiu couple spent Christmas vacation here after their wedding last week and were scheduled to return abroad on January, next year.
Official police investigation said Azucena was repairing her clothesline at the back of the house by tying a metal wire to a protruding steel bar at the cemented fence of their neighbor’s.
The mother was not told that the protruding steel bar was connected to live electricity from a welding machine being used by their neighbor.
Acuzena was the first to be electrocuted but was able to shout for help to Aileen, who in turn was helped by Jundree but to no avail. Bryan then helped free the three but was also electrocuted in the process.
All four victims were brought to the hospital but attending physicians pronounced them dead on arrival.
A police report claimed they have recovered the electrical and tie wires from the neighbor’s house. It was not, however, reported if the welding machine was there. (with reports from Ben Serrano)