Friday, August 4, 2017

Autopsy report shows Aldong positive for gunpowder

OZAMIZ CITY—Mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr. has tested positive for gunpowder nitrate, the Philippine National Police (pnp) said, supporting police reports he fought back during the drug raid last Sunday, July 30, that left the mayor and 14 others dead.

This statement came from PNP spokesperson Chief Superintendent Dionardo Carlos who disseminated their findings to the media today.

The PNP Crime Laboratory Region 10’s partial report also said Parojinog sustained two gunshot wounds on his face and chest.

The said report stated that aside from the mayor, seven of the 15 fatalities during the predawn raid also yielded positive results in the paraffin test.

The PNP explained that testing positive for paraffin means that a gun near a person’s hand has been fired although it acknowledged that the result of the paraffin test is not conclusive although it will help in the investigation if the firearms recovered in the premises were used and there was a gun battle.

Of the 15 dead, families of the 7 refused autopsy for their kin, while 8 consented, of whom are the Parojinogs.
Carlos added that those with Parojinog also tested positive for traces of gunpowder found on their bodies, but only the mayor was specified in his briefing.

Carlos added Susan, Parojinog’s wife and siblings Mona and brother Octavio Jr. died of blast wounds.

The autopsy report showed that Susan sustained a gunshot wound in her left eye, with the bullet exiting the back of her head.

A certain bodyguard of Parojinog, identified as Vicente Torregoza also died due to blast injuries.

Police Scene of the Crime Operation (SOCO) group of Region 10 who surveyed the crime scene found the grenade pin inserted in Torregoza’s finger.

This development strengthened City Police Chief Insp. Jovie Espenido’s earlier claim that the grenade came from the Parojinogs' group.

The surviving Parojinogs, Vice Mayor Nova Echavez and brother Reynaldo “Dodo” Jr., are  presently detained at the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame.

As this developed, a report quoting Espenido said that Mayor Parojinog had expressed willingness to turn himself in earlier in the raid that led to his death on Sunday, July 30.

Espenido said he repeatedly tried to convince the mayor to surrender, also confirming Parojinog as having said will surrender but eventually, when he was already with Echavez, he did not push through with it. (MICHAEL MEDINA)